The oldest church in Downtown Nassau is a five-minute drive and nine-minute walk from The Port. Christ Church Cathedral was the first church built in The Bahamas and the first structure of the church was constructed in 1670. Considered the “Mother Church” of all the Anglican churches, the present structure is the fifth church structure built. The previous buildings, some of them wooden, succumbed to various invasions in Nassau. In 1861, Christ Church Parish Church became a Cathedral, and this is also the year that Nassau was dubbed a city. Renovations completed in the 1990s saw the Church repair and maintain its historic and elegant beauty inclusive of stained-glass windows, granite tile flooring and mahogany pews. With its Gothic architecture, Christ Church is made of cut limestone blocks which were quarried locally. Mass is still held on Sundays at 7:00AM and 9:00AM.
Must See Christ Church Cathedral
Address George Street